Is your 2020 goal to make money online from the comfort of your room? But don’t know where to start from? Well I am here with a solution for you and that solution could be blogging. Regardless of whether you are 10 or 80years old and have no technical know how, starting a blog has become extraordinarily easy in 2020 and i am here to give you a step by step guide on how to start a blog.
FIRSTLY, WHAT IS A BLOG
A blog is a consistently updated website where content (new or old) is arranged in chronological order (most recent). It is commonly written in a casual or conversational style with the goal of attracting readers and in some cases serve as a means to generating an online income.
WHAT YOU NEED
There are people who shy away from blogging because they are not professional writers or computer geniuses but you don’t need to be a great writer or even an expert in your field to be a blogger.
If your goal is to Make money online, build a business online or even tell a story You can start blogging regardless of your age, location and experience level.
STEPS TO FOLLOW TO START YOUR BLOG
- SELECT AN IDEAL SPECIALTY FOR YOUR BLOG: Before you go about creating your blog you have to select a/your specialty that you are passionate about.It helps your readers understand what your blog will be about and give you the impetus to work on expanding your knowledge on the chosen field.
- PICK OUT A BLOGGING PLATFORM: Accessibility and availability of this blog is as important as creating valuable content, so picking where you want to build your blog is significant to reaching your preferred target. I’m going to take a guess and assume you’ve heard about blogging platforms like blogger, linkedin, tumblr, wordpress and some others but I recommend WordPress. WordPress is a choice platform because it is easy to use, has so many free themes you can select from and also have a massive support forum you can get help from when you get stuck.
- DECIDE BETWEEN FREE HOSTING OR SELF HOSTING: This sounds like an unfamiliar territory but one you can handle, if you still remember the prelude of this blog post. In layman terms, free hosting involves the use of services by a provider to make sure a website is accessible at no cost with terms and conditions to the owner of the website while Self hosting depends on the owner of a website choosing the best fit website hosting company and taking full responsibility of financial implication involved. For example yourblogname.wordpress.com is a blog address created using wordpress free website hosting service and yourblogname.com is self hosted because of the lack of ‘.wordpress.com’ in this context and some other restrictions such as limited storage capacity, amount of data that can be transferred to and fro the servers, monetization options and others that can be done at will of the website owner.
- START YOUR BLOG ON YOUR DOMAIN (IF YOU CHOOSE SELF HOST): After picking out the platform you want to build on, let us assume you decided to use wordpress, you can download the platform’s app or launch it from your blog’s hosting platform. Before WordPress is installed on your hosting plan where your server is domiciled, the website is expected to have an identity which is otherwise known as a domain name. With this domain name, your blog readers can easily use a browser to search for and visit a memorable name where your content will be displayed 24/7, 365 days a year. You will have to find domain name registrars to search for available names and pay an annual fee to claim and retain your choice domain name.
- DESIGN YOUR BLOG (CHOOSE THE RIGHT THEME FOR YOU) : Now this is the fun part,when designing your blog you need to create an environment that is both eye-catching and practical. Over the long haul, you need your guests to effectively discover data on your website. You don’t need guests to be discouraged by the colors you choose or the non-natural and strange manner by which data is shown. Your design can cause moment doubt of your blog or quick acknowledgment. You can start your search for a theme when your WordPress platform is installed or setup as the case maybe. The look and feel of your new blog should depend on the subject you pick. Your readers will initially notice the general appearance, before even going through the content. Pick a theme that looks incredible yet additionally works for your exceptional content needs.
To choose a new theme, you can either head to Appearance > Themes and install a free WordPress theme or you can head to a premium theme website like ThemeForest.net and buy a theme for around N14500. With wordpress you can easily change your theme with some clicks without fear of losing your content media.
Remember, your blog’s design should reflect both you,your personality and what the blog is about. There’s no point having a football-orientated theme if your blog is about cooking. Also make sure it is easy to navigate if it is tricky and confusing, people won’t stick around.
After you have completed the last stage, congratulation your blog is ready to launch,all you need to do now is write new content and also consider content distribution channels like dlvr.it or the inbuilt jetpack function that share your new blog post link to multiple platforms.
Enjoy your new blog!!!